Saturday, May 2, 2009

Parenting 101

Yesterday I went shopping with my friends Melissa and Michelle. I was picking up a couple of last minute baby items. We went to this used kid's store (the kids aren't used - the kid's items are). We were standing in line behind this mom with her young daughter. The daughter had one of those miniature shopping carts for kids. She was jumping around and leaning on it like kids often do with shopping carts. The mother was warning her daughter to stop jumping and goofing around. Of course, being a restless kid standing in line, the daughter didn't really pay attention to her mother's heeding. She was leaning on this cart when suddenly she toppled over onto the the floor with her little shopping cart coming down on top of her. My friend, Michelle, mother of three, responded appropriately with, "Oh, honey! Are you okay?" and helped her off the floor. My immediate and natural thought was, "Stupid kid. That's what you get for jumping around and not listening to your mother."

... I'm going to be a great parent.

No comments: